Sunday, June 28, 2015

We need to talk about weight.


Okay...so generally I choose not to talk or write much about weight/body size, because I feel like that plays into the idea that eating disorders are about weight, which they aren't. I naively assumed that most people with eating disorders who have had them awhile understood this - that, while the obsession still reigns in many of us, people understood that at their core, this is not what eating disorders are about. I thought people, at least people with eating disorders, understood that you can be very ill at any size - emaciated, "average", obese. I was wrong, and this topic has been staring me in the face repeatedly this past week...and for some time, I guess, but I generally choose to look the other way, knowing that that isn't something I want to spend my time and energy focusing on. But today several things culminated and forced me to consider this topic again, more closely.
So I'll start with some basic facts: 

1. Not all people with eating disorders are underweight - people with eating disorders come in all shapes and sizes, and all of them are suffering.
2. Not all people suffering from ANOREXIA are underweight.
3. You don't have to be underweight to be extremely medically compromised.
4. Some people with eating disorders who are underweight see themselves as "fat", and others know that they are physically unwell as a result of being underweight. Those pictures you see with an emaciated girl staring into the mirror to an overweight reflection are not always accurate.
5. Some people with eating disorders, though it's rarer, are entirely unconcerned with their weight. Which does help to show that eating disorders are not solely about body weight, shape and size.

Okay. So I want to share some of my day with you all.
I have been sort of mentoring a woman who I was in treatment with through Facebook messaging - putting a good deal of energy into trying to help her see sense, trying to help her understand that she is "sick enough" to seek treatment, reiterating that weight is unimportant but that she does not see herself clearly and that weight restoration is necessary in order to be functioning appropriately cognitively, listening to what's going on in her life...commiserating with her misery and gently suggesting that there is hope. I've been very open about my personal experiences in answering her many questions, and I don't regret any of it - I want to make clear, if she is reading this, that I am not angry for what I am about to share - but that it did open my eyes.
One of the recent questions she asked me was how long I was in treatment for, and specifically how long I spent in PHP (the 12 hour a day program I was in, in Denver). I responded that I had spent five months in PHP, and she asked: "Why were you there for 5 months? I know that you weren't very underweight." I am not angry - it was an innocent question, clouded by the things our society teaches us. I'll admit, though, that this threw me off guard. It's been a long time since anyone questioned how sick I was, and I'm past trying to prove it...there's nothing to prove. That said, I have been everywhere from severely underweight to overweight in my disorder, and while being underweight came with its own health consequences, so did having an eating disorder at higher weights. I have suffered deeply both mentally and physically at all ends of the spectrum, as have many. People die at normal weights from eating disorders frequently. It is a costly common misconception that people are worse off when they are underweight. I don't want to undermine the seriousness of being underweight, but you can be very sick at any weight. You deserve help - at any weight. You are not better for having been thinner in your eating disorder, and you don't have anything to prove. If you are attempting to prove your illness by losing weight, you are a hamster running on a wheel - you are just making things worse for yourself in the long run.
Shortly after stating that it was crossing a line to comment on my weight to this woman, I received another message, from a young woman I feel privileged to have spent time with in treatment and who I consider a friend. I'm very fond of her, and have been very worried. Since our time together, she has been back in treatment - and she happened to land in a center with one of my closest friends, who mentioned that they were there together and how sad she felt for this young woman. I was happy to hear from her, and I concernedly asked how she was. She responded that her depression had improved, but that she still had motivation to recover - and when I asked her why she felt she still wanted to cling to her illness, she responded: "I'm so fat". I asked her if she knew that she was distorted, and she said no. I believe her, though some may question how in the world she is unable to see what is so obvious - this beautiful young woman has been unable to eat, and so the hospital she was in was tube feeding her. 
There are factors apart from society's idiocy that have contributed to her predicament, I'm certain, but we do have to acknowledge its role. If being thin weren't considered somehow "better", perhaps this illness would have taken a different form. I have no doubt that it would have risen to the surface somehow, but our culture and its ridiculous ideals play a role. And it is horrifying. We all know that society has unrealistic expectations for men and women and our bodies, but I don't think many of us understand the depth of the problem. It's disgusting, and it's devastating. 

People often say that in eating disorder recovery issues with body image are the first to come and the last to go. I am early in my own process of recovery, and struggle with a number of things still - emotional eating, overuse of artificial sweetener, the inability not to look at the labels on foods when buying them, choosing the lower calorie food a lot of the time when another looks more appealing - and countless other things, namely my body image. Since gaining to a weight that is above my body's natural set point, I have lived in shame of my body - wearing only sweatpants and shirts five sizes too large for me, wearing sweatshirts even when it was boiling hot outside, being hyperaware of my body and what it looks and feels like at any given moment...since graduating from my treatment program in Denver, I have been making an attempt to wear shirts, at least, that fit me more appropriately. On occasion I'll wear a dress with leggings. Around the house, I'll wear my pajama shorts and a tank top - but I would never, never consider leaving the house wearing anything that didn't cover me. It has been an enormous success simply to leave the house in a shirt without a sweater or sweatshirt to cover my arms when it is hot.

Today, after these two incidences, I was preparing to leave the house to walk to the grocery store. It is very hot outside, and as I considered the clothes I was about to put back on - heavy sweatpants and a baggy shirt - I stalled. I thought, "I am not meant to leave behind a legacy of body shame and hatred". I walked to the grocery store in the one pair of shorts I own and a tank top, with a sense of pride in my ability today to do something I couldn't have done even yesterday. To hell with societal ideals, to hell even with my own brain's bullying - and it felt good, to walk in the sun with my skin exposed. I felt the wind on my arms and legs and face and hands, I listened to my music, and I kept thinking that my legacy will not be one of body shame. I am so, so much more than that. I am a person: a flawed, loving, neurotic, intelligent high school dropout who loves to read and write and help others...I am artistic and intuitive, I am determined and brave. Who are you outside of your body? What does it mean to have a "good" body? If everyone in this world were so focused on their bodies that they didn't pursue their passions, what kind of a world would we live in?

What do you want to leave behind, when you leave this earth? I invite you to consider this. 

/end rant.


8 comments:

  1. Sofia you inspire me so much. So well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Haylee. It means so much to me that you took the time to read this.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Sophia for sharing. I know just hearing this, you are coming to terms with things even though it is still a struggle. It is true that many people without eating disorders look at me and think everything is better when I am a normal weight.
    I know I used to think of it as somewhat being about weight but over treatment and a reminder from a close friend, it is not about the food. It is a mental illness. Just because I may look a little better does not mean I am not still going thru mental torture. Why? I could not tell you yet. I am not where I was a year ago, I have a long way to go for recovery but I am on my way. I am about to go back to treatment which is very scary to me. Why? Because I am in a better place then I was last year and know what hell and challenge treatment is this time. This time I am going into treatment with open eyes and healthier than last time. So I question do I really need to go. Last year I was at a place where I felt so bad and tortured not really knowing was I was doing, made going into treatment not easier. I was still scared to death but not really lucid enough to comprehend anything. This time I know what I am doing and I am still scared. Knowing what I am doing makes things harder. It makes me say if I am thinking this way, why can I not do it on my own. I am a strong, stubborn and rebellious in a fun way. I need to challenge myself to do this. I am more prepared to learn more this time. Who knows, this time may be what I need to push me to the right side of recovery. I need to be strong, stubborn and rebellious but use that in the right direction. Yes I will feel fat and it sure as hell will bother me/frustrate me but that is why it is important that I am in an environment where professionals can help support me. I am not looking forward to the mental and physical pain. being more aware of what I am doing, makes it that much harder. I all ready feel fat. I know what will happen in treatment which scares the shit out of me. You are inspiring me to give this thing another chance so I do not have to live this miserable/lonely/tortuous life of existence not really living but existing. I have had this thing for so long, I am scared what I will expect of me and what will happen. The unknown. Why do I look at myself and think my stomach is fat? I do not know. I know it is all mental but the thoughts, medications etc are literally killing me. You are right. People look at me on the outside and say you look good. But that doe not indicate that I am suddenly healed. It takes a long time. Like my mom used to say, I may look great but I sure feel real lousy. (chemotherapy).

    I know I am rambling now.

    Thank you Sophia for understanding and giving me the courage to say yes to treatment this time. As long as I can laugh, as long as I fight and to not quit, I have a chance. I am not a failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so proud of you for deciding to seek treatment after all, Susan. There's this spoken word piece by an amazing poet/performer/activist in New York City called "Fat is Not A Feeling", here's the link:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzia-8MX4ig

      And of course you're not a failure. You've been very sick for a very long time. Take care.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sofia(It's so weird typing that name),
    This blog entry post really speaks to me in so many ways. I always think I am not sick enough for treatment or to even own up to having an eating disorder since I am obese(but that's because of pills). I have a warped sense of body image too and don't see a problem with it. I see the really skinny girls as pretty in my eyes. Anyways I am so glad you are so open with your recovery and struggles because it gives me hope that I can beat this too. But my therapist says that treament centers isn't an option for me. And all i need to do is get out of the house and do stuff then I wont be depressed anymore and then things will just stop like it's that simple. But I know it's not as simple as that. Anyway I just want you to know you are an amazing inspiration to me and I hope we get to talk on the phone soon. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Frankie,
      Have you thought about a) expressing your concerns to your current therapist and b) maybe looking into finding someone who's a better fit? Are you able to see someone else, maybe someone you might find more helpful?
      I don't believe that residential treatment is the only way to get well, and it's not always beneficial to everyone, but I do believe it can be a tremendous help in some cases. I know how complicated things are right now, and how awful they must feel...
      As far as body weight, have you talked to your psychiatrist about maybe tweaking some of your meds? It sounds like they're creating some pretty serious health risks.
      People have eating disorders at all different weights. I know you know that. But "eating disorder" doesn't just mean "restricting", and I know you know that, too.
      Anyway, I'm really busy and overwhelmed right now with treatment and am trying to just take it easy. A friend is coming into town on Thursday and I probably won't be online much. But once I feel more settled I'd love to talk to you and try to help you sort out what's going on - I'm just realizing that I tend to overextend myself trying to help other people and that I need to take a bit of a step back and focus more on myself at the moment.
      Sending love.

      Delete
  5. You are amazingly articulate, and I'm so proud of all the hard work you are doing so that you get to be here and share all your wonderfulness w the world. I feel like ins co are also to blame for the feeling that you dont get longer treatment unless you are v underweight-- i wonder if thats part of what affected your friend's thinking? Once my ins co decided I'd had enough tx, but day of planned discharge i was transferred to the ccu... Because i wasn't stable physically, but since I'd been meal compliant for four wks and gained to whatever magical # they decided i needn't be ip anymore.

    ReplyDelete