Friday, May 30, 2014

What does Depression feel like? : Part 2

My days go like this:
I wake up. The depression is a tiny seed again, something manageable. I brew coffee, I feed the cat, I feed myself. I am currently unemployed and not in school, so the content of the day - and whether I have plans - is entirely dependent on the availability of the few people I have in my life.
I make sure to get out every day. On many days, I have appointments - therapist, dietitian, psychiatrist, doctor...they help sometimes, but always temporarily when I'm in a depression.
I try to give my cat the attention he deserves and I do my best to connect with other humans. I have learned that this is vital for my mental health and my will to be alive. My relationships are my highest value, and they are the reason I choose to stay alive, even when my brain turns on me.
Which it always does by nightfall, when I'm in a depressive episode, as I currently am. That seed grows into a worm, and then a tumor until it takes up almost all of the space inside of me. Sometimes I can't cry - that's how it was for years. Lately sometimes it feels like crying is all I CAN do.
I curl into the fetal position on my couch with my computer and cell phone visible and within reach on the coffee table, hoping to hear from someone. Sometimes I reach out myself, but I rarely communicate what demons are overtaking me. They have no names and the majority of the time there is no rhyme or reason to them. They simply come; roaches in my skull.
Tonight I was brave. I dragged myself into the shower, holding onto the curtain for support, and somehow managed to get dressed and drive to the only open coffee shop in my neighborhood at this hour. That's where I am now. I am waiting to feel tired enough to go home, type this up, and (hopefully) fall asleep within a few hours.
Because as though the depression weren't agonizing enough on its own, it is often accompanied by unresolvable insomnia. For many chronic insomniacs the sleeping meds stop working as they develop a tolerance, as I apparently have, yet again. Add that to the mental checklist of things to tell my psychiatrist next week.
Years of depression have dulled my ability to hope. Years of treatment have somewhat revived it, but when I am depressed I also become incredibly irritable at times, which makes it very difficult to Stay Positive.
I have, like many who struggle with mental illness, read endlessly about it. I have read that Resilience is the difference - to oversimplify things - between those who Make It Though and those who don't. My personal experience, though, has shown that even some of the most resilient people I have known lose their lives to mental illness in some form or other. My best friend joined their ranks in July, and I have many friends whose lives I fear for.
When you have been sick for as long as you can remember, you know (and love) a lot of very sick people, which is further depressing. My personal belief is that this does not mean a person should stop loving or caring for their also sick friends - but perhaps, as I have to decided, to not make any more as much as is possible, and to attempt to make some healthy friends as well. I'm lucky. I have a few.
But most of the people in my life that I love, value, respect, and trust are extraordinarily busy.
The harsh truth is that people don't always have time for you - even when you need them the most. Your mental illness is not their responsibility. This is not to say that they can't or shouldn't love, care for, and support you - or that you don't deserve it - it just means that at the end of the day it's you and yourself and your demons, whenever they may choose to show up.
There's a sense of injustice. For me at least. I am a good person and I know it. Andrew Solomon stated in his TED Talk on Depression (see the previous blog entry) that "Our needs are our greatest assets. It turns out I've learned to give all the things I need."
I love that and it rings loud and clear and close to home. I am the person who will show up for you when you need someone but can't ask. I am intuitive in that way.
And this comes from my intimacy with my own unmet needs.
In the car on the way here I recalled something stupid I said to someone whose opinion I highly value over a YEAR ago and I flinched and my entire body tensed. This is not uncommon in depression - obsession and rumination over insignificant past interactions. I've had enough therapy that I quickly remind myself that I am powerless over the past, that I am human, and that the other person probably doesn't even remember it.
So how to wrap this up? I haven't expressed even a fraction of what I hoped to, but I guess this will have to suffice for the moment.
Part 2 of "What does Depression feel like?" is complete, and I am going home to type this up soon.
Thank you for your time,
Sofia

8 comments:

  1. Sofia, I just read your blog entries, and I am loving that you're doing this! My experiences for the last 12 or so years have been remarkably similar to yours (As far as I can tell). Granted, we fought battles in maybe very different arenas, but I can't help but feel much of your thoughts, feelings, musings, are strikingly identical to mine- At least where the depression is concerned, but probably in the realms of self image, self loathing, and god knows where else. I so appreciate your candor, your raw honesty and the courage to tell your story. It is so refreshing to come across your writing online in stark contrast to the happy go lucky, jet-setting, romantically and fincancially satisfied lives of others. I can sometimes hardly scroll through my news feed. Just wanted to let you know I appreciate it. I could always use someone open, honest, and down to earth to converse with if you ever wanna share ideas, treatments, frustrations, and the like. Just keep trucking, all you can really tell yourself sometimes :)
    -Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Ross - thank you so much! I have to admit I was so excited to see that someone had actually read and commented on the blog :-P, and hearing from you is special. We never really knew each other in junior high or high school but man, I've always remembered you and how funny and lovely you are.
      I am sorry to hear that you have your own struggles in this realm (though I've intuited that you might from FB posts here and there). I'd love to talk more and be friends, if you're up for it - though I have to warn you, as nice as I am, I'm a hot mess! Working on it, for sure, and much better than before, but you know what I mean. So glad to hear from you and that something resonated with someone and felt refreshing. I was afraid this entry was a bit devoid of hope, but then kind of said "Screw it" because this is how I feel right now and you know...honesty and all of that. I couldn't bring myself to add "Stay strong!" or "But..." at the end tonight, I just couldn't.
      You're a gem, and I look forward to getting to know you!
      - Sofia

      Delete
  2. Sofia, I just read your blog entries. I LOVE them. I feel so grateful to have access to your writing; it's so engaging and so true. It's so honest and informative and makes me want to know you even more! Thank you, thank you for writing and for letting me read. If you ever want, please don't hesitate to message me - I live across the country from you, but I'd love to keep you company in the ways I can. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much Laura. Is this Laura Mary? I hope you are doing well, and I so, so, so appreciate you reading. I'm hoping to make this blog about more than just me, and hoping that in the future I'll be well enough to reflect back on it from a different perspective.
      Thank you for commenting! I get childishly excited when people comment :-P

      Delete
  3. You capture this shit so well, and still, I hate that it's here to capture. I am so immensely impressed with you for sharing -- for getting out, for getting words on paper, for going through the impossible motions in the moments like these. I'm glad you're here and I'm grateful that you're fighting, that you're doing this. I hate like hell that it's this challenging. Here from afar when you need, even (particularly?) when you don't want to need it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      You know that you're one of my favorite people. Thank you so much for caring and your encouragement; I'm torn between embarrassment and determination to tell the truth about this, even if it includes being even more open about my own personal bullshit. It really did help so much to get out last night and write this out in the hopes that it would help someone else understand more.
      I'm here for you, too. And I love you.
      Sofia

      Delete
  4. "I curl into the fetal position on my couch with my computer and cell phone visible and within reach on the coffee table, hoping to hear from someone."

    God, I identify with this. Everyone always says to reach out, reach out, but my depression simply argues back that for once I'd like one of my friends to contact me first. Which just make me feel worse, and plays hell with my BPD so...maybe tomorrow I'll take your advice and get out of the house if I feel bad :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much for reading and responding, Lily. I hope you do! You're such a lovely person who deserves so much more than to identify with that...I'll try to be "skillful" too ;-)

      Delete